For most of us, Labor Day is a time to enjoy the company of family and friends, having fun and creating memories – whether at home or away. It is a fun time to celebrate the end of summer or the beginning of the new school year.
But for some families, the holiday is a nightmare. Each year, homes in Georgia are damaged by wayward fireworks. Thousands of people are injured in accidents.
At Cowart Insurance, we want your holiday to be happy, but also safe. So here are some tips to help you protect yourself and your property.
Protecting yourself (and others)
- To minimize the risk of injury, don’t use consumer fireworks. Attend a public display conducted by professionals in Duluth, Buford, Suwanee, Lawrenceville, Auburn or Braselton.
- If using consumer fireworks, always follow instructions. Do not attempt to re-light “duds” or create homemade fireworks.
- Never let children handle or light fireworks. Even sparklers, which burn at more than 1,000 degrees, can cause third-degree burns. Kids under the age of 15 account for approximately 40% of fireworks injuries, according to the U.S. Fire Administration.
- A responsible adult should always be present when children – even teenagers – are around fireworks. More than half of fireworks injuries happen to those younger than 20 years old.
Protecting your home
- According to the National Fire Protection Association, the best way to protect your home is to not use fireworks at home.
- Remember, fireworks can cause grass fires and other types of blazes as well. Make sure you light fireworks in a safe area, away from homes and buildings, and other combustible material. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby in case of emergency.
- Look out for tree limbs or bushes that could catch fire. Trimming vegetation to keep it away from your home is a good idea anyway, but it could save you from a catastrophic fire.
- If your gutters have accumulated leaves, pine needles or other flammable material, clean them before using fireworks near your home.
- Finally, if you won’t be home on the holiday, ask a neighbor to keep an eye on your house if others in your neighborhood will be using fireworks.
- Keep in mind that Pets are particulary stressed during fireworks. Read our blog entry on how to keep your pet happy and safe.
With some common sense and planning, Labor Day can be both safe and enjoyable for everyone. Whether you’re staying at home or heading away, we hope you have a wonderful time celebrating!
As always, we at Cowart Insurance Agency are happy to help you determine your insurance needs. Stop by our office, email us at email [at] cowartinsurance [dot] com, or give us a call at 770-339-0447.
We are located in the metro Atlanta area in Lawrenceville Georgia. We serve the entire state of Georgia. We are conveniently located near the Mall of Georgia in the Suwanee, Buford, Flowery Branch, Braselton, Auburn, Winder, Lawrenceville, Grayson and Loganville area.