For most of us, the Fourth of July is a time to enjoy the pyrotechnics that mark the holiday. But for our pets, fireworks are another story. Many pets can be traumatized by the noisy rockets and firecrackers so many of us enjoy.
At Cowart Insurance, we hope your holiday is happy and safe for you and your pets. So along with our other story about fireworks safety, here are some tips to help you protect your pets on July 4th in Atlanta Georgia, or elsewhere.
Protecting your pets
Many pets are very frightened by the loud noises caused by fireworks. If you are not able to take them away from the noise, here are some pointers from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals that will help them have a more peaceful holiday.
- Do not take your pet to a public fireworks display. In addition to the noise, they may be spooked by the crowds.
- If possible, leave your pet inside in a safe, secure room. Do not leave them outside, even if your yard is fenced. They may try to flee, and they may succeed; July 5th is a busy year at many animal shelters in Metro Atlanta, Georgia area as dogs and cats are frequently found miles from their homes. Taking your pet on a walk early in the day can help tire them out.
- Give your pets a comfortable place to rest, as well as plenty of food and water. You might even leave a TV or stereo on to drown out the fireworks. Provide soothing music, if possible. A favorite toy (or their favorite owner!) can help comfort them, too.
- Make sure your pets have an ID tag or microchip, in case they get scared and escape.
- Check with your veterinarian before giving your pet any medication intended to calm them. They may be able to provide you with a prescription or suggest alternatives.
- And, of course, keep your pet away from used and unused fireworks.
With some common sense and planning, the Fourth of July can be both safe and enjoyable for everyone - and less scary for your pets. Whether you are staying at home or heading to Stone Mountain, Atlanta or the Mall of Georgia in Buford for the fire work displays, we hope you have a wonderful time celebrating our independence!
Contact us if you have any questions about your Buford, Dacula, Suwanee, Braselton, Hoschton, Grayson or Loganville Home Insurance coverage. Check our our Pinterest page for more idea's for summer fun. From all of us at Cowart Insurance Agency, happy 4th of July, and stay safe this summer!
There are no comments yet.