Whether your child is returning to college or starting their first year, it is an exciting and stressful time for you. You want to make sure everything is covered, from what you need to do before they go to what they should bring with them.
Here are some tips to share with your child to make college life a little easier:
- Visit http://www.collegepackinglist.com/ for a dorm checklist items, and other helpful suggestions
- Organize yourself and your belongings when you move into your dorm.
- Encourage your student to commit to Healthy Eating Habits and Exercise Routines
- Try not to burn the candle at both ends – Get plenty of necessary sleep
- Develop a respectful relationship with your roommate
- Manage your time well to avoid becoming stressed over deadlines
Here are some items you should take care of before they go off to college:
- If they are taking their own car make sure you change the garaging address on the insurance policy.
- If they are not bringing their own car but may be using other student’s vehicles or Zip cars, there are options on the auto insurance policy to address these scenarios.
- Personal belongings such as laptops, electronics, and musical instruments have limited coverage under your home insurance policy. Scheduling these items on your policy will give you better coverage.
- You may want to consider purchasing a renters policy if your student will be living in off campus housing.
There is a lot to think about. Call us and we can help you obtain coverage tailored to your specific needs – - – before dorm check-in time.
Every situation is unique. These tips will help you begin the process of making the decisions that are right for you and your student. We are happy to discuss your specific coverage requirements. So, before your child leaves for school, call us at 770-339-0447. We can walk you through the steps to ensure you have the right coverage. We’re here to here to help!