College is expensive enough without the added cost of unexpected accidents or theft, not covered by your insurance policy. If you have a student heading away to school, below are a few tips to help you get the most out of your coverage.
HOMEOWNERS (varies by state and policy)
- Personal Property: Most home (homeowner) policies will cover personal property for up to 10% of your total policy while your child is residing at school (a $100,000 policy equals $10,000 in coverage). Not all types of damage are covered, so read your policy carefully. Some items such as jewelry or expensive electronics require special coverage.
- Renters insurance: We strongly recommend purchasing a separate policy for your student. Renters Insurance is very affordable.
- Liability Coverage: General damage to a dorm room or apartment is not usually covered.
- Documentation: Creating an inventory of the items your child is taking to school is a good idea. Use photographs and keep receipts.
- Keep it Simple: Encourage your student to think about what they are taking to school. Most students take too much with them to start their freshman year. It will reduce stress on move in day!
AUTO (varies by state and policy)
- Car Stays Home: Keep your child listed on your auto policy if they will drive your car while at home on school breaks.
- Car at School: Make sure to notify us if your child will be taking a car away to school. In most cases, if the car is registered to you and listed on your policy, it will be covered.
- Driving a Friend’s Car: Students are generally covered if they are listed on their parent’s policy and are not regularly using the vehicle. The Parents policy coverage would be considered secondary coverage. The insurance for the friend’s vehicle would be the primary coverage.
- Discounts: A full-time student meeting certain academic requirements can qualify for a good student discount. Distant student discounts may also be available. Drivers under 21 who have completed driver’s education may also get a discount.
Every situation is unique. These tips will help you begin the process of making the decisions that are right for you and your student. We are happy to discuss your specific coverage requirements. So, before your child leaves for school, call us at 770-339-0447. We can walk you through the steps to ensure you have the right coverage. We’re here to help.
We are located in the metro Atlanta area in Lawrenceville Georgia. We serve the entire state of Georgia. We are conveniently located near the Mall of Georgia in the Buford, Duluth, Suwanee, Braselton, Lawrenceville, Grayson and Loganville area.