We all remember the day we received our diamond engagement ring, those opal earrings for a special birthday or the emerald pendant gifted to us by our family. Those items are near and dear to our hearts, so they should shine like the North Star for a lifetime.
Although jewelry store lighting can make anything sparkle, we shouldn’t have to wait until we visit the jeweler to appreciate the brilliance of our gems. If you want your jewelry to maintain that out-of-the-box shine, we have some tips for you!
- Many gemstones are sensitive to sudden temperature changes or extreme temperatures. Depending on the gemstone, exposure to excessive heat or cold can cause discoloration, fading, cracking or even melting.
- Take rings off before using hand creams or lotions to prevent buildup of oil and dirt.
- Believe it or not, hairspray can cause permanent damage to many kinds of gems.
- Remove jewelry before cooking, housework, gardening and sunbathing.
- Any time a gemstone comes in contact with another, the softer piece suffers damage. Try to store items in separate compartments or boxes. Many jewelry boxes offer this type of storage.
- Organic gems such as amber, pearls and coral need to breathe, so never store these in plastic. Porous stones such as turquoise and opals need exposure to fresh air and humidity and will deteriorate in dark, dry places. Wrap breathable gems in a soft cloth.
- Acids found in many types of cleaners will discolor, if not destroy, most jewelry. Keep chemicals away from precious metals such as gold, silver and platinum.
- Be careful when cleaning your jewelry and always use a soft touch. Rinse in a glass of water versus under the faucet, just in case your stone came loose during cleaning.
Exercising care for your gems will allow them to show their brilliance for years to come! Contact us today for a Homeowner or Wedding Insurance quote in Georgia!